Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ci3L

Dedicated Member

Ci3L
Dedicated Member

Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching Empty Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching

Post by Ci3L on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm currently watching an anime while waiting for the server to come back online, and let me be honest the Japanese sure do have a way of making stuff which are gory but hauntingly interesting. The horror scene started taking a more humanistic approach with the newer releases (somewhere in 2000), in a sense it's the realism, and the semblance of everyday life which actually gave me goosebumps.

The one I'm currently watching is entitled Another; based on the mystery horror novel by Yukito Ayatsuji, published on October 29, 2009 by Kadokawa Shoten. The art concept is surprisingly good, and the story line actually gives a small glimpse of humanities ugly side when dealing with something unexplainable. As I watched the anime (currently on episode 9 while writing this), I started to reminisce about all the other animes I've watched along the same genre, some of them are way nastier than this, some starting out all innocent and cutesy only to give a nasty surprise in events towards the tail end; while others are downright revolting. I want to know if anyone else besides myself have ever watched some of these, and what are your thoughts on it. Also I'd like to know what do you think about the authors' (since most of them are based on manga/light novel) state of mind when drawing/writing it.

Note: Not all of them are horror, but they do present a facet of humanity we try our very best to deny and/or hide

• School Days
    The ecchi part aside, this one deals with the concept of relationship between adolescents and the human psyche of overt possession. Guys if you want fap material while still putting on the innocent façade; watch this one though skip the last episode if you still want to maintain a hard on, or at least the last 15 minutes (Seriously you'll regret it and go WTF)

• Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)
    The story concept is good, but the persona brought forth has a very disturbing appeal, especially the stalker heroine. It's still quite tame

• Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When the Cicadas cry)
    This one presents a whole different aspect in the concept of doubt and the possibilities of 'ifs', seriously don't watch if you have a history of peeing in your pants. The creator depicts the nastiest aspect of the human psyche as vividly as possible. The way the plot builds up towards the climax is shockingly similar to our everyday life when thrown in that situation. Though there are several aspects which is well nigh impossible in reality (such as being brought back to life), the main part of the story does bear an uncanny resemblance of what you might expect when your cornered with no way out. This often causes the protagonist to take severe, often irrational solutions; but if examined closely the reasoning behind their actions are quite justified. Furthermore, each episode has a main theme as well as a hidden theme which are inter linked to all the episodes. The series is split into 59 episodes, 2 seasons and 2 OVAs - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (26 episodes), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (24 episodes), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (5 episodes), and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira (4 episodes). Each episode has a question arc as well as an answer arc, which actually raises the appeal of the series itself. Something to note when watching the series is that, the question and answer arc do not follow the normal ordering of things. The arrangement of question and answer arcs follows that of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsu (Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi), however it does not destroy the flow of the story as in Suzumiya. The episode may present question, then an answer; or it may present a question followed by another question before giving an answer for the first question but withholding the answer for the second one. Nevertheless the events which unfolds would be seen as a continuous flow.

• Umineko no Naku Koro Ni When the Seagulls cry
    This one has a few disturbing and rather violent scene, but still pale in comparison to Higurashi. However it's creepy and disturbing enough in its own right. Most of you may have surmised that this may be the continuation of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, in that sense you're both wrong and right. Umineko is actually the third part of the 'When they cry visual novel series' by 07th Expansion with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (the two are short OVAs), followed by Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru. Though the animated version has both Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Chiru compressed into 26 episodes unlike the Higurashi series. Both the setting and the characters involved, as well the events are completely unrelated to the Higurahi series, though the question and answer arcs are still present. I would definitely recommend watching this one after Higurashi.

• Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)
    This one is quite a popular one, though it's a lot tamer then the above 4. Just your regular girl coming back from the dead for revenge. Season 2 and 3 was a very pale comparison to the first season

• Kara no Kyokai ~ The Garden of Sinners
    This one is the tamest of them all, there are gory bits though. Unlike your regular anime, Kara no Kyoukai was made into a film series, separated into 7 hour long movies by UFO Table (The same production company that brought you Shingetsutan Tsukihime). If you have a penchant for magic and a taste for a mild dive into a murderers mind this one is not too bad, though I wont recommend watching it with family as there's a rape scene which is also by far the goriest. That aside it has one of the most beautiful art concept, as well as hauntingly good music. The story line is pretty good too, simple enough for the simpleton to understand but has several complex moments which requires a bit of thinking

• Elfen Lied
    This one comes off as bizarre as they can get. Lot's of gore, and people getting killed in the most painful way possible; and yet the storyline presented here focuses plainly on discrimination and the human fear of something which are so alike but at the same time unalike. This one would be a level higher than Kara no Kyokai, but definitely tamer then Higurashi

• Memories by Otomo Katsuhiro
    Again like Kara no Kyokai, this anime consists of 3 short films. The film themselves deals with a variety of the human psyche under different circumstances. Though admittedly, only the first one "Magnetic Rose" or better known as 彼女の想いで (Kanojo no Omoide) left an impression on me. The latter of the two just felt sub par after watching the first one. Those who are familiar with Giacomo Puccini's later works of opera; like Turandot would be able to fully appreciate Magnetic Rose. This is one of the two anime series prior to the 2K generation which I find good, it was released in 1995; 2 years before the Asian economic crash.

• Hadashi no Gen
    This one, much like Elfen Lied deals with discrimination. However on a whole different context. This one focuses more on how the community treats a particular individual who's view dissents from the norm during a time of harsh struggle for survival in a post war era. This is the second pre 2K generation which I feel is worth watching. A less disturbing (just a tease really) version of this would be Hotaru no Haka or commonly known as Grave of the Fireflies within the English speaking community

• Serial Experiment Lain
    Though not very disturbing, it does pique the question of how detach are we from reality? It's a really avant garde anime which I wont recommend unless you have some basic understanding of the lifestyle of a ordinary school going Japanese teen (by which I refer to their insecurities as well as the responsibilities they are faced with), as well as some prior experience with the internet community as an extended family of sorts. Does share a certain degree of commonness with the theme in Matrix but on a more bizarre scale. The OP theme for the anime, Duvet by BoA makes very little sense in English but if viewed from the Japanese literature point; it actually summarizes the atypical everyday Japanese teen life. Another note is to pay attention to the opening caption which is voiced at the beginning of every episode 'Present Day.....Present Time! Hahahahaha!' this phrase actually highlights the theme of the anime series quite clearly

• Ghost Hound
    This one has a rather famous production cast, including Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell abbreviated as GSC), Ryutaro Nakamura (Serial Experiment Lain, Kino's Journey), Chiaki Konata (Astro Boy, Serial Experiment Lain, Tetsuwan Birdy, RahXephon), Mariko Oka(Jigoku Shoujo) and Hiromasa Ogura (GSC, Twilight Q, Dead Leaves), with that said the anime was sub par for the people involved in creating it. Don't get me wrong it's good, but it does not live up to the standards of the people involved in producing it. Overall the whole series is quite tame, if you don't mind repeatedly seeing a corpse of a 9 y.o. with a fly coming out from various orifice repeatedly. The anime is based on a super natural platform, as a boy tries to deal with his past trauma. The art work is good, while the story line is okay (though it does get stuck in a rut due to too long a conversation scene); still as I mention earlier it really does not live up to the name of the production cast.

These are the few that I could remember, and I'd love it if anyone can tell me where I can get my hands on Shiki, Mononoke, Ayakashi, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica (was told it's a highly disturbing Mahou Shoujo animation, and also one of the best of it's season). Plus if anyone has a suggestion or a recommendation I'd watch them as long as it's not Hentai (a bit of ecchi is okay).

Back to top Go down

Lucifica

Ultimate Member

Lucifica
Ultimate Member

Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching Empty Re: Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching

Post by Lucifica on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Watched episode 1 of Higurashi, Got scared and decided to not watch the next episode.
But of course I plan on watching episode 2 ONE DAY c:

Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching EgOuWyl
  I'm Totally not Eternal Dream.
Fade-Kun wrote:BITCH YOU GO TO THE STORE GET SOME BACON (pre-cooked, or raw as long as you shove it in your DAMN MOUTH) COOK IT AND EAT IT SO YOU MAY TO REALIZE HOW AMAZING IT IS

Back to top Go down

Ci3L

Dedicated Member

Ci3L
Dedicated Member

Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching Empty Re: Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching

Post by Ci3L on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm

That's why I suggested that it's not one for the faint of heart. TBH the なく頃に (Naku Koro ni) series are not your everyday walk in the park sort of animes. I find it to be really, REALLY disturbing but it has it's appeal when analysed in depth

Back to top Go down

Magnus

Ultimate Member

Magnus
Ultimate Member

Post by Magnus on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 pm

To be honest. I've watched every one that you mentioned.

Another isn't really that gory until the last two episodes. But the plot and storyline was superb.

School days is just mostly filled with ecchi. Pregnant women and mad people. Not really advised for children.

Mirai nikki was interesting so to say. It was a risk to play the stalker card on one of the main characters. Also,stating that the main character is actually from another parallel dimension.

Higurashi was the best out of the list that you mentioned. I don't want to spoil it for our viewers but you should know.

I never finished Umineko. Plan to finish it one day.

And Jigoku Shoujo. That was excellent. Using the internet as a way to summon the hell girl to send someone to hell. But with the price was too great of course. To send someone to hell,you will also go to hell when you die.

Elfen lied is nothing but naked girls. Shitloads of flying bodies. Blood. Gore. Enjoyed it tremendously nevertheless. That shit makes me happy.

I would continue on my opinions but i have to do something productive now.

wip sigs:
Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching Test10

Back to top Go down

Ci3L

Dedicated Member

Ci3L
Dedicated Member

Post by Ci3L on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:51 pm

†Legacy wrote:To be honest. I've watched every one that you mentioned.

Another isn't really that gory until the last two episodes. But the plot and storyline was superb.

School days is just mostly filled with ecchi. Pregnant women and mad people. Not really advised for children.

Mirai nikki was interesting so to say. It was a risk to play the stalker card on one of the main characters. Also,stating that the main character is actually from another parallel dimension.

Higurashi was the best out of the list that you mentioned. I don't want to spoil it for our viewers but you should know.

I never finished Umineko. Plan to finish it one day.

And Jigoku Shoujo. That was excellent. Using the internet as a way to summon the hell girl to send someone to hell. But with the price was too great of course. To send someone to hell,you will also go to hell when you die.

Elfen lied is nothing but naked girls. Shitloads of flying bodies. Blood. Gore. Enjoyed it tremendously nevertheless. That shit makes me happy.

I would continue on my opinions but i have to do something productive now.

I'm looking forward to it, seems like you and I share the same kind of philosophy in regards to animes along these lines

Back to top Go down

§å§§ȋ£

Dedicated Member

§å§§ȋ£
Dedicated Member

Post by §å§§ȋ£ on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Omfg, I love horror animes. I've watches Mirai Nicki, Another, and Elfen Lied. I dun get how most people find it disgusting when it's all just animations xD

Back to top Go down

RyRy

Ultimate Member

RyRy
Ultimate Member

Post by RyRy on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm more of an action/ecchi anime fan. No horror for me.

Back to top Go down

Ci3L

Dedicated Member

Ci3L
Dedicated Member

Post by Ci3L on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 pm

§å§§ȋ£ wrote:Omfg, I love horror animes. I've watches Mirai Nicki, Another, and Elfen Lied. I dun get how most people find it disgusting when it's all just animations xD

People generally find it disgusting when they draw a similar experience (even if it's not their own) and compares them. For example in episode 3 of Another, towards the tail end; when Sakuragi Yukari (桜木ゆかり) gets herself impaled on the throat by the pointy end of the umbrella. I unconsciously flinch, and started rubbing my throat as if were me that got impaled; the reason being that I practised Kendo from middle school till High school. Tsuki (突き) is a thrust move to the throat and is one of the areas where you hit to land a point, which is banned unless you're dan 5 and above. It hurts a hell lot, even when I have my men (面 めん - essentially a helmet + throat and shoulder guard) to protect me. Because of this I recall the memories of receiving Tsuki(s) every time I see something similar to that.

RyRy wrote:I'm more of an action/ecchi anime fan. No horror for me.

Watch School Days or Yosuga no Sora (ヨスガノソラ), just prepare a box of tissues when watching Yosuga, and make sure you're not with family or anyone under age.

Back to top Go down

RyRy

Ultimate Member

RyRy
Ultimate Member

Post by RyRy on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Hmmm Fapping material

Back to top Go down

Ci3L

Dedicated Member

Ci3L
Dedicated Member

Post by Ci3L on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Coming back to the point, I've just finished watching Another. The verdict, definitely enjoyable. Though now I'm touching my throat every 5 minutes to make sure that there's no gaping hole there. The ending is a bit anti climatic though, but the events prior to it was really unexpected

Back to top Go down

AntiSocial

Average Member

AntiSocial
Average Member

Post by AntiSocial on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 am

Meh, horror anime doesn't do anything for me (no reaction).
I get bored watching them.

Spoiler:
---SPOILER ALERT---
Bleach: Ulquiorra's death.
FMA Brotherhood: Roy Mustang's lost eyesight.
Kanaan 2006: Frail fox girl's slow death.
Gurren Laggan: Kamina's death.
Lucky Star: The ending.
Steins;Gate: Mayuri's spree of deaths.

Back to top Go down

jεnn♥

Ultimate Member

jεnn♥
Ultimate Member

Post by jεnn♥ on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 am

I've watched few episodes of Another , freaked the hell out of me.
I watched school days, and few episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, still freaked the fk outta me.. .-.

Back to top Go down

Ci3L

Dedicated Member

Ci3L
Dedicated Member

Creepy, Gory and Disturbing animes which are worth watching Empty inserted promo video

Post by Ci3L on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:41 am

Have you tried Jigoku Shoujo? Or Kara no Kyoukai ~ The Garden of Sinners (空の境界~The Garden of Sinners/Boundary of Emptiness~The Garden of Sinners)? The are a lot less freaky than the Naku koro ni series, in fact it's one of my favourite anime series of all.

This is the theatrical release promomotion video

Here's a sneak peak at episode one

Back to top Go down

§å§§ȋ£

Dedicated Member

§å§§ȋ£
Dedicated Member

Post by §å§§ȋ£ on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:51 am

All those videos look awesome to me, and you're kinda right cuz when I watched Another, I got quite impaled...

Back to top Go down

Ci3L

Dedicated Member

Ci3L
Dedicated Member

Post by Ci3L on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:12 am

Currently I'm waiting for Ayakashi to finish downloading before watching Mononoke. Still couldn't find Shiki, so probably I'll go watch one of my favourite romance anime Da Capo (D.C.) and Da Capo Second Season (D.C SS) or maybe watch reruns of Clannad. Can't seem to get that Dango Daikazoku (だんご大家族) song out of my head now

Back to top Go down

الذئب

Dedicated Member

الذئب
Dedicated Member

Post by الذئب on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 pm

RyRy wrote:I'm more of an action/ecchi anime fan. No horror for me.

Highschool DxD right there bro.

"You ever hear the story of how I fell from grace?"
"You know why God cast me down? Because I *loved* him. More than anything. And then God created..."
"You. The little, hairless apes. And then he asked all of us to bow down before *you*. To love *you*, more than Him! And I said, Father, I can't. I said these human beings, were flawed, murderous. And for that, God had Michael cast me into Hell! Now tell me, does the punishment fit the crime? Especially when I was right. Look what six billion of you have done to this thing. And how many of you blame me for it."

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top